Know Your F-1 Student ‘Immigrants Rights’

  • Visitor Visa Bridge. B-1/B-2 visitor visas are a great option to bridge a student’s status in the United States. U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (“USCIS) accepts a variety of reasons to approve a change of status into this category. Valid reasons such as: to look for a new financial sponsor, less expensive school, embark on job interviews, or take time out for medical needs are eligible factors. It’s important to note, a visitor visa is not limited to tourism or pleasure as is often misconstrued.   
  • Medical issues. While studying in the United States a client of ours suffered kidney failure. She had to immediately stop studying. We were able to check her university’s student visa policy manual, and the federal regulations to allow medical leave without a violation in her status. There are also humanitarian options. An experienced U.S immigration lawyer can help you protect your status while dealing with medical crisis in the United States.  
  • Hostile OPT or CPT Work Environment. If you or someone you know is in his or her Optical Practical Training(“OPT”) work authorization period of F-1 status, it’s important to know that all U.S. Labor laws apply to international students.  

Leave a Reply